So what happened with the Internet in 2011? How many email accounts were there in the world in 2011? How many websites? How much did the most expensive domain name cost? How many photos were hosted on Facebook? How many videos were viewed to YouTube?
The website Royal Pingdom has posted answers to these questions and many more, providing a veritable smorgasbord of numbers, statistics and data about the state of the Internet in 2011.
Some of Royal Pingdom’s stats for the Internet in 2011:
- 555 million – Number of websites (December 2011).
- 300 million – Added websites in 2011.
- 2.1 billion – Internet users worldwide.
- 922.2 million – Internet users in Asia.
- 476.2 million – Internet users in Europe.
- 271.1 million – Internet users in North America.
- 215.9 million – Internet users in Latin America / Caribbean
- 800+ million – Number of users on Facebook by the end of 2011.
- 200 million – Number of users added to Facebook during 2011.
- 350 million – Number of Facebook users that log in to the service using their mobile phone.
- 225 million – Number of Twitter accounts.
- 100 million – Number of active Twitter users in 2011.
- 18.1 million – People following Lady Gaga. Twitter’s most popular user.
- 250 million – Number of tweets per day (October 2011).
Read the full article with all the numbers on Royal Pingdom…
- China’s Internet Users Cross 500 Million (pcworld.com)
- The best Royal Pingdom posts of 2011 (royal.pingdom.com)
- Pingdom in numbers: 37 billion site tests so far this year (royal.pingdom.com)
- Internet 2011 in numbers (royal.pingdom.com)
- When Ranking Facebook Adoption As Percentage Of Population, Cyprus Is #1 (techcrunch.com)
- The number one OS in mobile? Symbian (mobile-ent.biz)