Grown now and on the hook for their parents’
Ah, The Good Old Days… For White, Employed, Healthy & Oblivious Americans anyway. I would have enjoyed the spoils of the era simply by demographic lottery, but the 1950s were anything but the “Good Ol’ Days” for minorities; rural communities; the poor; anyone suffering a mental illness; homosexuals; atheists; and even anonymous non-conformists seeking to exercise this guarantee of free expression enshrined in the script of Founding Fathers.
Those even curious about alternatives to our capitalist democracy were denounced as Communists, Socialists, Trotskyites and Anarchists just as a warm-up for the real punishment in store for the freely expressing outliers.
As no distinction would be tolerated between a student of history learning about the world and true radicals intent on sedition, Russian dominance in world events or what became accepted as the citizen’s clear hatred of America and all it encompases. Most in elected office, and their constituents, had no qualms with punishing fellow citizens for their speech, ideas or curiosities if they disagreed with the free expression being enjoyed.
IN THE 1950s, ONE COULD LOSE EVE, survRYTHING FOR CHOOSING TO ASSOCIATE WITH ANY SUSPECTED, KNOWN OR FORMER COMMUNIST IN AMERICA, WITHOUT CONSIDERATION TO HOW EACH INDIVIDUAL APPROACHED THEIR BELIEFS OR PRACTICED THEIR RIGHTS TO DO SO:
- Choosing to work within the capitalist construct in any position or field while investing personal time after work with ‘KNOWN COMMIES’, Party members or their associates.
- Whether their affiliations were known, disclosed or even relevant to the activities was irrelevant.
- Know a Communist? Meet with those thought critical of America’s system?
- Join a club with a whiff of discourse about how people would like to be governed?
Not a good move. You would:
- Lose your job
- Be blacklisted within your industry
- See friends, family and colleagues evaporate
- Subject your children and family to isolation, deprivation of opportunity and children who inherit a lifetime under government suspicion of Communist sympathies, surveillance and whisper campaigns no matter their actual affiliations, beliefs and activities.
- Face the prospect of no redemption, respite or recompense to undo your life being undone
Good ol’ Days? I’ll take the Civil Rights Act and a culture unwelcoming of discrimination, bias and illiteracy in the workplace, government entities or in most public settings.
Learn more about how Republicans cherish this long-past era, yet refuse to allow today’s citizens to enjoy many of the government programs that made prosperity, growth and middle-class stability possible by bipartisan efforts of earlier lawmakers.