This morning, I received what looks like a robo-response email from Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) in response to a letter I sent two days ago urging her to vote NO on SOPA and NO on PIPA.
I appreciate the prompt reply from her staff (and the robot responder in her office), but unfortunately it appears from her email that BOTH senators from my state, Minnesota, are still using language that supports the interests behind both bills.
We made ourselves known to the world and Congress…
I guess we need to turn the volume up even higher.
Here’s the text of the letter
SENATOR AMY KLOBUCHAR sent me this morning:
January 20, 2012
Thank you for contacting me about the Protect IP Act. I appreciate hearing from you and especially appreciate hearing the concerns you have raised.
On January 20th, 2012, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced an indefinite postponement of the scheduled Senate vote on the Protect IP Act. As Congress continues to consider this issue, please know that I will work to make sure your concerns are addressed.
The internet has dramatically altered the manner in which we communicate, conduct business, seek entertainment and find information. It is vital to ensure that online innovation and openness are preserved so the American people can continue to freely to express themselves and pursue personal and economic endeavors over the internet.
It is also important that foreign criminals not be allowed to steal the property of others without consequence. The pirating of intellectual property is not a victimless crime. Rather, it threatens the jobs and livelihoods of millions of middle class American workers and businesses. However, we must seek ways to protect people from online piracy, particularly foreign piracy, without limiting web-based innovation or a free exchange of ideas.
Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. One of the most important parts of my job is listening to what the people of Minnesota have to say to me. I am here in our nation’s capital to do the public’s business and to serve the people of our state. I hope you will contact me again about matters of concern to you.
United States Senator
- Want to STOP SOPA / STOP PIPA? Use these tools and be involved. (momfy.wordpress.com)
- Vote On PIPA Internet Censorship Bill Postponed (mountainrepublic.net)
- SOPA & PIPA pt. 3 (chunterfactor.wordpress.com)
- Proof we do not need SOPA. – Tea Party Nation (gds44.wordpress.com)
- Let’s bury SOPA and PIPA (piedtype.com)
- SOPA, PIPA Blackouts Dominate Headlines (mywestchesterpatown.com)
- Dropping Support for PIPA and SOPA (netsecurityit.wordpress.com)
- Senator Amy Klobuchar to Keynote ERA Government Affairs Fly-In (prweb.com)
- A Run-Down on SOPA and PIPA [Video] Why It Matters (chrisdrinkut.wordpress.com)
- MN Senators Franken and Klobuchar co-sponsoring controversial Internet censorship legislation (tech.mn)
- Tell Congress to vote NO on SOPA and PIPA! (feministconscience.wordpress.com)
- Find Out Who Is Supporting SOPA/PIPA (eoghann.com)